Can steam cleaning ruin carpet?
Steam cleaning, also known as hot water extraction, is generally considered to be a safe and effective method for cleaning carpets. When done properly, steam cleaning can remove dirt, stains, and other debris that is embedded in the carpet fibers, and can improve the appearance and extend the lifespan of the carpet.
However, if the steam cleaning process is not done properly, it can potentially cause damage to the carpet. A few examples of improper use are:
- Using water that is too hot: Hot water can cause shrinkage, discoloration, and damage to the carpet fibers.
- Using too much cleaning solution: Excessive use of cleaning solution can leave a residue on the carpet, which can attract dirt and cause the carpet to become discolored.
- Using the wrong cleaning solution: Using the wrong cleaning solution can cause discoloration or damage to the carpet fibers.
- Not extracting enough water: Failure to extract enough water from the carpet can leave it damp for an extended period of time, which can cause mold or mildew to grow.
- Not protecting the carpet: Not protecting the carpet during the cleaning process can cause damage to the carpet or furniture.